Reiter Racing Logo


Pat Reiter R.I.P


  Please join us in remembrance of our friend, Pat Reiter (Secret Squirrel).  One year ago on October 12, 2008, Pat lost his life in a boat accident.

On Sunday October 11th at 2:00 p.m., we will meet at Pat's grave  (St. Mary's Catholic Church"  13715 Notre Dame PL. Bryantown, MD)

We will then proceed to (Hotel Charles 15110 Burnt Store Road, Hughesville MD 20637), to reminisce and fondly remember our dear friend Pat.  Many thanks to Jeff Thomas, owner of Hotel Charles and Pat's good friend, for giving us access to his establishment.

Any food dishes,  hors d'oeuvres, or beverages that you would like to bring are welcomed.

Please pass this information to anyone you feel would want to be included.

Feel free to contact me (Marcelo) @ 410-610-5184 with any questions.

  During a test run of the "Hot Licks" boat that Pat Reiter had just completed rigging in the Patuxent River near Solomons Island Maryland, at approximately 4:45 pm on Sunday October 12th , 2008 an accident occurred.

  Pat Reiter was driving,

  Bobby Baumgarten on throttles.

  Passengers, Josh Reithmeyer and Kenneth Weisskopf.

  The boat was traveling up river from Solomons Island and going around point patience, #8 red marker, the boat suddenly hooked and went into a barrel roll. This information comes from Josh Reithmeyer and Tim Kiser, the fisherman that aided in rescuing victims afloat. Cause of the accident is yet unknown. The boat was taken by DNR for investigation.


  Josh Reithmeyer was released from the hospital the same evening.  Kenneth has a laceration to his leg and is still in the hospital. Bobby B has a lacerated kidney, broken ribs and concussion. Bobby is still in the hospital as well.

  The rescue and search started immediately including the Coast Guard, Helicopters, DNR, State Police and went on into the night on Sunday the 12th.

  The search picked back up early in the morning of Monday the 13th.  A lot of friends with their own vessels, DNR, Coast Guard, Dive and rescue teams, and local search and rescue teams, searched the shore lines, and the river where the accident occurred.  The search was called off at around 7:pm. This search will resume on Tuesday the 14th.

  As of 7:00pm on Monday, Pat has not been found.

  Mark Boyer (sorry if I don't have your name correct) send me the following  information:
"A good friend of both but mainly Bobby named Rob has set this up:"
I am going to set up an account for Bobbys hospital bills and one for the Reiter Family- banks closed Monday but going to be done on Tuesday

Donations can be sent to..

Proform Protective Films
BobbyB fund
3220-D Corporate Ct
Ellicott City Md 21042


Every penny will go towards medical bills, if anything left over will be handed directly to Bobby.

Visa and MC accepted


  Tuesday October 14th: 

  Search started at day break conducted by friends of Pats. DNR and rescue team, Dive rescue teams,  and others joined in shortly thereafter. Helicopter took flight at around 2:00pm to help in the search throughout the day.

  Bobby and Kenneth are recovering and doing better, all things considering.  

  I just wanted to recognize and commend everyone from "Constellation Energy" that know and work with Pat. They have been on site supplying everyone here, from rescue teams, to friend and family, with food, beverages, and support. Do not let this overshadow all the support from all the friend and family that have been on site since this all started.  I commend all of you equally.


  Wednesday October 15th:


  The CBPBA and the OPA have set up a fund to help out Bobby and Pat's family. The fund will be administered by three trustees- Ed "Smitty" Smith - President OPA, Andy Livermore - President CBPBA, and Jim Voege - Treasurer CBPBA. All funds will be directly passed through to Bobby and Pat's family to help them through this trying time. Many people have expressed a desire to help so this is a great way to do it. We are accepting credit cards through . Go to the link and click on "Send Money" then follow the instructions to send money to . In the comments section please put "Bobby and Pat Fund" . If you would like to send a check please make it out to CBPBA and in the memo section put "Bobby and Pat Fund". Send it to:

PO Box 1722
Pasadena, MD 21123

Thanks for your support in advance.

  Search continued  from sun up until sun down. Still no news. Searching will resume  Thursday morning.

  Here is a link to a news article written by Pat's hometown newspaper:



  Thursday October 16th:

  Search this morning started at day break. DNR had side sonar equipment in the water and were searching the site of the accident.  Soon there after, Solomons Island Rescue and A.A. County advance search and rescue team with their sonar equipment joined in the search.

  Multiple boats from friend and crew took turns doing surface search throughout the day.

  Bobby B and Kenny are doing well.

  Once again, the boat ramp was full of friends supporting Deb, Dustin, Cody and their families.


 Friday October 17th: We Have Pat Back.

  After searching all day, the Patuxent River finally gave us Pat back. 

  Tim Kiser, the fisherman that aided in rescuing the victims on Sunday, found Pat Reiter at around 7:30 pm about 400 yards from the original accident.  A second boat consisting of , Mike Murray, Ann and Jimmy Raider and myself  joined Tim shortly there after.  Daren and Jimmy were the third boat there.  

  This puts closure to the recovery of Pat Reiter for all of us.  

  All of us want to thank the U.S. Coast Guard, State Police, the Department of Natural Resources,  Calvert County  and A.A. County advance search and rescue teams, Solomons Island Fire and Rescue teams,  Charles County Fire and Rescue teams, and others that searched for Pat since Sunday.

   Thanks to all that supported by providing food, drinks and other accommodations. 


Viewing for Pat Reiter:

Will be held on Wednesday October 22nd.

Time: 2:00 - 4:00 pm and 6:00 - 8:00pm.

Prayer: 7:00pm.

Location: Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home P.A.

30195 Three Notch Road Box 128

Charlotte Hall, Maryland 20622



Funeral For Pat Reiter:

Will be held on Thursday October 23rd.

Time: 11:00 am.

Location: St.Mary's Bryantown Catholic Church

13715 Notre Dame Place

Bryantown, MD 20617



Join the family for a reception following the interment at:

American Legion Post 238

6265 Brandywine Road

Hughesville, MD 20637



A memorial mass will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 1st at St. Olaf’s Catholic Church in Eau Claire, WI.

Pat's Obituary

PatPatrick George Reiter, “Secret Squirrel”, 39 of Mechanicsville, MD died Sunday, October 12, 2008 in a tragic boating accident. 

  Born March 14, 1969 in Eau Claire, WI, was the son of Joan Florence Reiter, Eau Claire, WI and the late Gene John Reiter.  He graduated from North High School in Eau Claire, WI in June 1988.  He joined the USMC in August 1988 and was honorably discharged in August 1991. 

  He met Debra Lynn Adams while stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and they married on February 17, 1990 at Old Fields Episcopal Church in Hughesville, MD. 

  Pat was full of energy and always did everything to the max.  He worked for Constellation Energy at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant as a Nuclear Welder and has been there for over 17 years.  He also owned and operated a small business known as Reiter’s Welding and Propeller as well as the Driver/Owner of the Thunderstruck 553.  Reiter’s Welding and Propeller initial specialization was welding, however, due to the demand of high performance mechanics, his focus transitioned to servicing, fabricating parts and materials for high performance boats.  Reiter’s Welding and Propeller is widely recognized as a dependable, quality service oriented organization throughout the High Performance boating community.

  Pat began his racing career prior to his enlistment in the United States Marine Corps.  His racing career began with his brother Don.  Pat contributed most of his racing experience today to his brother, Don and the knowledge he taught him over the years. 

  Pat’s passion for Offshore Racing began in 2006 when he drove the 38’ Formula for Hot Licks Racing.  In the fall of 2007, Pat decided that he would like to continue the Reiter tradition of Offshore Racing with his son, Dustin.  It was at this time that he bought and built a 26’ Profile, the new Thunderstruck Racing Offshore Boat.  He also created Reiter Racing, LLC with the hopes of one day turning the business over to both his sons, Dustin, and Cody.

  In addition to his wife Debbie, he is survived by his sons, Dustin John Reiter and Cody Nicholas Reiter; brothers, Don (Patricia) Reiter, Woodland Hills, CA, Dan (Antje) Reiter, Eau Claire, WI, Dennis (Wendy) Reiter, Eau Claire, WI, Ed (Jordan) Reiter, Chippewa Falls, WI; sisters Mary Jo (Ron) Reiter-Eggers, Pinion Hills, CA, LouAnn (Perry) Franz, Elk Mound, WI, Sally (John) Iverson, Eau Claire, WI, Ann (Jeff) Goodrich, Durand, WI, Rose (Kyle) Doll, Elk Mound, WI; in-laws, Keech and Denise Edelen, White Plains, MD; nieces and nephews, Paul & Misty Reiter, Joe & Sarah Killinger, Jami Killinger, Tammy & Joe Walker, Jesse and Carly Reiter, Laura Franz, Sarah & Kyle Austin, Michael & Andrea Iverson, Ryan, Amy, Jenna, and Cory Goodrich, Danyel, and Zac Doll, Paige Reiter, Jessica, Heather, Keech and Courtney Edelen, father-in-law, Wiley Adams of Mechanicsville, MD.

   In addition to his father Gene, he is preceded in death by brother, Randy Reiter and sister, Jean Marie Reiter, and mother-in-law, Linda Adams.

 Family will receive friends for Pat’s Life Celebration on Wednesday, October 22nd from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home, 30195 Three Notch Road, Charlotte Hall, MD.  Prayers will be at 7:00 p.m.  A mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 13715 Notre Dame Place, Bryantown, MD.  Father Gardiner will be the celebrant.  Interment will follow in St. Mary’s Catholic Church Cemetery.  Reception to immediately follow at the American Legion Post 238, 6265 Brandywine Road, Hughesville, MD.

   Pall bearers will be Daniel Reiter, Dennis Reiter, Donald Reiter, Edward Reiter, Bryan Martin, Marcelo Parodi, Mike Murray, Troy Spencer.

   Honorary pall bearers will be Darin West, Jimmy Rader,  Jimmy Simpkins, Josh “Tackle Box” Diehl, Josh Reithmeyer, Keech Edelen, Richard Vallandingham.

   Memorial contributions may be made to the “Patrick Reiter Memorial Fund” at Navy Federal Credit Union, P.O. Box 3100, Merrifield, VA  22119.

   A memorial mass will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 1st at St. Olaf’s Catholic Church in Eau Claire, WI.

   Arrangements are being provided by Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home, Charlotte Hall, MD.

  Wednesday October 22nd 2008.

  I would like to personally thank all the members from the different OPA teams that attended to Pat's viewing. This shows the strong brotherhood that this entire organization stands for.  (United We Race).

  Thanks to all of the family and friends that showed up to pay their respects.

  I heard that this was the 3rd largest viewing at this funeral home since it has been opened. 

  Thursday October 23rd 2008.

  Pat was put to rest.  R.I.P.

  We know you are in a better place now, and you will always be looking down on us. 


Pat Reiter Eulogy by Donald Reiter.

October 23, 2008

  This is indeed a sad day for all of us. We have lost a great person.

  My brother may have meant something to each and every one of you, but personally, he was that little brother that from day one was going faster than the rest of the world could keep up with.

  Being Pat’s older brother I have felt bad and guilty about losing Pat in such a way as I felt that my example of racing boats and having Pat, after he just graduated from high school help me campaign my race boat around the country, were the basis for his involvement in racing.  With out a doubt I influenced Pat but if you knew Pat growing up you knew this was just one way that Pat was just being Pat.

  By sharing a few stories of Pat growing up you will see, as I have through reflecting upon him, that though out his entire life Pat loved going fast and living on the edge.  

  First you need to understand that Pat was the youngest of 5 boys and 6 girls until my come lately brother Ed arrived 6 years after Pat…and made it an even dozen.  Pat spent most of his childhood and teenage years with four of my sisters that were just a few years older than him. 

  Growing up in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, with a wooded very steep hill in our backyard he with his sisters would clear a path though the woods so that they could ride their sleds and toboggans down the hill between the trees.  Pat, the youngest at that time…and the boy in the group, became the one to make the first test run down the hill after a fresh snow typically hitting a brush pile of some sort or maybe the occasional oak tree.  And regardless if the path down the hill was completely cleared or not he always had to go to the top to get the maximum speed.  Eventually he moved up to snow skis and moved on to even larger hills where following the lead of his older brothers he was not satisfied with skiing fast down these hills but built huge jumps that he could go off of.  And if there wasn’t snow there was the street in front of our house on the hill we lived on.  Understand that this hill is at a good 45 degree angle and with a good block’s worth of incline. He would take my sisters skateboard and try to go down this hill, known as Abbe Hill without crashing - of course he broke his arm disregarding that my sisters were telling Pat there are cracks in the sidewalk and yes the skateboard wheels occasionally do get stuck in them!  This of course occurred on a Wednesday which was golf night for my parents.  As my sisters put it Wednesday nights became really interesting as he began his early teen years with more stories then we have time to tell or for my mom to learn of.

  Any way after snow skis, sleds and skateboards then came water skis.    After mastering that in short order, he began trying to teach himself how to barefoot ski….something none of us had done.  He was determined, as Pat was with anything he wanted to do, and he tried many different ways from sitting on an old wooden water ski or starting out on skis trying to drop one before hitting the water full force.  He would eventually learn to lie backwards and hang on to the ski rope and say "hit it dad" as he slowly sank into the water.  As reported by my sisters all you could see were the bubbles around his head when he would try this way. After a short distance of nothing but spray my sisters would say to my dad who was driving “he is down” but much to Pat’s dismay he actually wasn’t done trying.  Pat would just say “if I was done trying I would let go of the rope – OK”.  He eventually mastered bare footing where he would be dragged by the boat until it hit top speed and he could turn himself around and stand up.  He was indeed proud of this accomplishment and couldn’t wait to come to CA and show me… which he did.

  And then he became of the age where he was able to drive. There was the motorcycle, the car and the truck.  First came the motorcycle and ensuing accident where he was wearing only tennis shoes, swimsuit and a helmet…no shirt…imagine that.  Pat crashed his motorcycle on a ‘gravel’ road none the less…going how fast only one could imagine.  He was taken to the nearest hospital where my parents were called and told they would be transporting him to the hospital in Eau Claire.  They were told he was going to be fine and that there was no need to rush as they would be spending sometime pulling gravel from his arms, legs and back.   From there he got his first car, a Ford Fairlane, that with my dad’s assistance was painted, engine played with, backend jacked up in the air as he tried to mimic his older brother’s Dennis’s Fairlane that had been completely restored and hopped up.  In short order he rolled that car on the way to my parents cottage…totaling it.  From there he got a used pickup truck which he quickly painted, again modified the engine etc. only to he hit a moving train with it.   Yes a train.  I don’t know all the details but one could only imagine.  Per my mom the whole front end was ground off by being dragged by the train and she said that was the end to vehicles for him for a while. 

  There are so many more memories and stories to tell but as you can see, and as Pat’s crew chief Cello put it, Pat was always wide open giving it 110%.  This was the case from the time he was growing up until he died doing what he loved over a week ago….building something, making it go fast, going fast and the water…this was Pat and what he loved.

  And all though the stories and memories that you hold and the ones I have shared paint my little brother as always going wide open and living life on the edge which he was… he did have a quiet caring side as well.  I was able to experience some of these with him during the past year or so in several phone calls he made to me.  One was after a difficult time he was having with understanding his son Dustin who was rapidly becoming a man of his own.  He was so hurt and did not know what to do.  The advice I gave him was merely that Dustin is just like you growing up…just love him for who he is.  The next thing I hear and see is Dustin is in the race boat with him and Pat calling me to brag about how they were doing.   The next particular phone call or I should say phone calls that stand out for me came to me were when Debbie was diagnosed with the desmoids tumor.  He called me and was distraught and how it was not fair.  Again I had the honor to console him and say to be at her side every moment of the way.   He would call and update me and it was obvious he had researched a lot on his own and I would hear from him that he and Debbie were going to this Dr and then to this Dr and ultimately end up in DC with the best Drs in the world with him at her side all the way.   

  Yes my little brother loved going fast from day one.  But he loved Debbie dearly, he was so very proud of his two boys Dustin and Cody, he had relatives in Wisconsin and Maryland that he loved and admired, he was so very proud of working at the nuclear power plant and had the best friends and neighbors anyone could ask for here in Maryland. 

  To this end we must accept the fact that my brother has moved on and that we all should be so very thankful for all of the special memories and thoughts that my brother has left with us.  And with that, I hope that my brother will continue to live on within all of our hearts and minds.  Thank you for the support you have provided and I know you will continue to provide Debbie, Dustin and Cody.




   Our thoughts and prayers are with Deb, Dustin and Cody.


   Marcelo Parodi (Crew Chief and friend) Pat and I I miss you Squirrel.



© 2008 ReiterRacing553
Designed and hosted by Parodi Web Design


Race Boat
Build Photos
2008 Races
Race Pictures

Contact Us